Re: [patch 00/12] musb mess

Hello.

David Brownell wrote:

If there are others from Sergei that should go in, or from anyone else, please send them as well.

I've also removed all my signed-off-by, on purpose.

It's only one fricken driver, why is this so much trouble?

It's one driver that runs on a boatload of different silicon
so it needs to be changed with some caution.  Despite the fact
that the original code from Mentor was deeply crapulous, and
not all of the goofage has been removed.  (Arguably, not all
of it *can* be removed; they invented their own OTG state
machine, which doesn't match the USB-IF specs...)

Which means that unlike most low level USB drivers, it's got
folk from several teams working concurrently:  one from Analog,
two or three from TI, one from MontaVista, a couple from Nokia.

Thankfully it's not as bad as the mess we had with UHCI in
the 2.4 kernel days; most developers are happy to cooperate
and just get the bugs fixed.  But with that many people at
work on some nasty problems, some friction on both technical
and personal levels is probably inevitable.

Yes, there were conflicts caused by several people working on the same issue. But unfortunately, they don't boil down to only that. The recent conflict was entirely caused by your authoritarian manner of dealing with others' patches, with your changes not always being changes for the better... :-/

- Dave
bah,

greg k-h

WBR, Sergei