Re: problem with usb-serial device

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:13:53PM +0530, Shivdas Gujare wrote:
> Hi Greg,
> Thanks for your help.
>
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 12:26:23AM +0530, Shivdas Gujare wrote:
> >> Hi Greg,
> >> I am currently testing my device(eZ430) using generic usb-serial
> >> driver, and I came across some strange problem.
> >
> > Ick, generic usb-serial?  Why?  There's no flow control with that
> > driver, and it's extreemly slow.
> >
> > Also, what kernel version are you using?
>
> I am using 2.6.29-rc2 from
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=summary

That's good.

> >> If I test the device with x86, it works very well. It sends character
> >> strings to USB serial, after pressing key on device.
> >> But when I test with ARM board(Beagle), it shows some characters
> >> missed in between.(for ex "Hello" receives as "Helo" with "l" missed)
> >
> > What host controller driver are you using here?
>
> It's "Mentor Graphics INVENTRA" musb from drivers/usb/musb/

Ick.  Based on the huge number of patches for this host controller
driver recently, I'd blame this, and not the usb-serial driver,
especially as it seems to work fine for you on an x86 box.

> >> What could be the probable reason? How can I debug these problems?
> >
> > Use a usb protocol "sniffer" to verify that the data really is not
> > getting to/from your device to see if there is an overflow in either
> > your device, or in the host would be a good place to start.
> >
> > You can use usbmon for that.
>
> It seems that device is sending proper data, because it works fine
> with x86. I tried to use usbmon
> but I can't get any data on "bulk in" endpoints, but I can get every
> packet generated on control endpoint
> if I disconnect and re-connect device.

Why is usbmon not working for you?  If you connect to the "send me
everything" monitor port, do you not see the data?

> Also, I could be wrong, but is it worth to keep null check for
> urb->actual_length before calling "usb_serial_debug_data"

Which check are you referring to in which file?

thanks,

greg k-h