Re: [RFC] usb: gadget: uvc: webcam gadget USB PID is using value from a different gadget

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 12:59:33PM +0200, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Petr Cvek <petr.cvek@xxxxxx> writes:
> > It seems the USB product ID for g_webcam usb device gadget is
> > incorrectly used from EEM gadget "Ethernet Emulation Model". So
> > "webcam" device has a confusing description in lsusb:
> >
> > 	1d6b:0102 Linux Foundation EEM Gadget
> >
> > I would change it to 0x0106, which is a next unassigned value
> > (according to http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids). Does this step
> > require some official communication with the holder of VID (Linux
> > Foundation)? Or all it takes is just to send patch to the kernel and
> > to the usb.ids database?
> >
> > I know it is only a cosmetic change on a legacy driver, but I assume
> > it would be better to have some default value for configfs API than to
> > borrow a PID from a whole different gadget.
> >
> > Change in question would be something like this (I will send a proper
> > patch after RFC):
> >
> > Fixing USB Product ID for UVC gadget (used from Ethernet Emulation
> > Model) and changing it to new one.
>
> Greg, do we still have an official Vendor ID?

Well, as official as we are allowed to get :)

> If so, any chance we can
> allocate a unique default ID for the webcam gadget?

Hm, I thought we wanted to get rid of the "legacy" gadget stuff.  Who is
using it these days?  It's not Android...

If it's really needed, then yes, you can use 0106, just let me know.
But do you really need a new id?  What's wrong with 0102?

thanks,

greg k-h