Re: Advanced Format SAT devices show incorrect physical block size

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Pali Rohár wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 January 2017 15:29:23 Alan Stern wrote:
> > > Tom Yan wrote that smartctl/hdparm "works" because they use the SCSI ATA
> > > PASSTHROUGH command. It is not an option for kernel?
> >
> > No, because many devices do not implement SCSI ATA PASSTHROUGH.
> > (Consider devices whose underlying technology does not use ATA or SATA,
> > for example.)  And some of the ones that don't implement it will die if
> > you try to send them an ATA PASSTHROUGH command.
>
> It is not possible to detect if underlaying device is ATA?

I don't know any reliable way to do it.  Besides, even if the device is
ATA, you're still out of luck if the USB-SATA bridge doesn't support
ATA PASSTHROUGH.

> > You have to understand that consumer USB storage really is very
> > low quality in many cases.  Vendors aim for low cost rather than high
> > reliability or correctness.
>
> Understood. But lot of distributions call hdparm for inserted disks and
> also set some APM (or at least check it)... That means there is already
> some way how to deal with these problems (in userspace).

Maybe.  Or maybe users simply don't use hdparm if it causes problems
for them.  You don't have a similar option with the kernel.

Alan Stern