Re: Fwd: Raw hid gadget

Apologies for the multiple send, I had an inbound mail problem.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 8:53 AM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 10:24:42PM +0200, Rogan Dawes wrote:
>> Sigh! This got bounced because of HTML parts.
>>
>> Another question that arises, though:
>>
>> What sort of performance can I expect writing to and reading from a
>> RAW HID gadget, configured using that descriptor?
>>
>> My understanding is that I should be able to get 64kBps, based on a
>> 64-byte packet, and a 1000 packet per second limit.
>
> Where do you get that per-second limit?
>
> It's up to the host to pull from the device that fast, perhaps it's not
> really doing that?  Using usbmon should show you what is going on here
> exactly.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

I got the idea that the per-second limit was 1000 from the LUFA stack,
which has this as part of its descriptors:

http://fourwalledcubicle.com/files/LUFA/Doc/151115/html/struct_u_s_b___descriptor___endpoint__t.html#a816d81c288de4e5779df22923e1ac0b7

uint8_t USB_Descriptor_Endpoint_t::PollingIntervalMS

Polling interval in milliseconds for the endpoint if it is an
INTERRUPT or ISOCHRONOUS type.

So, apparently I'm clueless. Nonetheless, I have read reports of
people getting 40kBps via raw HID, so it should be possible to do
better than I am currently.

I'll keep trying, and see if I can get proper packet traces on the bus
to clarify what is going on.

Regards,

Rogan