Re: ZTE modems in unusual_devices

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:48:37AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> Well, I seem to remember a reasonably lengthy thread about this, in
> which it turned out the best solution was to install the manufacturer's
> firmware upgrade.  For example:
>
> https://lists.one-eyed-alien.net/pipermail/usb-storage/2008-December/004313.html
>
> But I could easily be mixing up two different sorts of device; I can't
> keep these things straight.

Right, so that thread basically says (confusingly), that there are three
categories of device, that have two categories of behavior.

  Behavior A
  If it doesn't get attached as usb-storage auto-switches to modem

  Behavior B
  Will only "be" usb-storage until ejected

In the following 3 categories.

  Category 1 - Original version of device
  Behavior A, NON-upgradable firmware. The only way to make this work is to
  make usb-storage ignore the device

  Category 2 - Non-original version of device, older firmware
  Behavior A, but you can upgrade firmware to get behavior B

  Category 3 - Non-original version of device, newer firmware
  Behavior B

This person clearly doesn't have A, or it the behavior change he would have
seen when we pulled the IGNORE_DEVICE flag was "oh, crap, now it's a
mass-storage and I can't use my modem" - we threw these users to the dogs,
because they're the minority.

This person doesn't seem to be in category 2 because again, when we pulled the
flag they would have gone from "modem device" to "usb-storage" device. The
oppositie of waht they reporting.

This person can't be in category 3 because they would have gone from a
non-working device to a usb-storage device.

At least, that's my understanding of all this. If I've missed something, let
me know.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming