Re: ZTE modems in unusual_devices

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:45:49AM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
>
> > > I believe we should at least try to send "eject" command to these
> > > devices once they are detected, as that is sufficient to switch the
> > > mode for most of them, and I don't think it has potential to break
> > > anything. And we could simply.
> > An eject command doesn't work, and in fact there's userspace tools to switch
> > the mode. See the thread on linux-usb with the hardware manufacturer.
>
> Yes, I am aware of the tool. Quite unfortunate that we can't do this is
> kernel, it's very inconvenient for users. Oh well, just another proof that
> hardware vendors are ... uhm ... creative bunch of people.

Yup - eject tends to (usually) work on the not-first-gen devices.
usb_modeswitch is a bit cleaner, but they both seem to work. But if we leave
the unusual_devs patch in a lot of the newer devices are completely unusable
(they don't then go into modem mode, and since they're not in usb_storage
mode, you can't force the switch).

It's not hard to make a udev script to auto-eject or auto-modeswitch this
device, so I don't think it's much of a problem for users. Send a udev script
to your distro of choice and enjoy.

>   Do you have any idea what mode did that beast switch itself over to?

No, but the hw makers were in the threads I pointed you to, I suggest dropping
them a note.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming