Re: ZTE modems in unusual_devices

Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> Jiri Kosina wrote:
>> I believe we should at least try to send "eject" command to these devices
>> once they are detected, as that is sufficient to switch the mode for most
>> of them, and I don't think it has potential to break anything. And we
>> could simply.
>
> An eject command doesn't work, and in fact there's userspace tools to switch
> the mode. See the thread on linux-usb with the hardware manufacturer.

More specifically see:

   serious problem about unusual_devs.h(kernel?version>=2.6.26)
and
   ZTE MD626

And my commit msg:

The ZTE modem entry causes usb-storage to ignore the device, but for some
versions of the device, usb-storage mode is required to get to modem ode.
For both kinds the tool: http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/ should work.

Note that the various versions of the device have the same ProductId,
VendorId, and bcdDevice number, so we cannot have the entry for some and not
others.

As it turns out, this situation sucks. The manufacturer has many versions of
this device that all have the same PID/VID/BCD (i.e. we can't tell them
apart). All except the first were designed to work with Linux and work with
both usb_modeswitch and, I believe some tool the company provides. And in
fact usb-storage *must* bind to these or they will *never* switch to modem mode.

HOWEVER, the very first rev was not created with Linux in mind and these
userspaces tools don't work with them.

That leaves us with two choices:

 * Make usb-storage ignore the device... the first gen of the hardware
works, but every gen after that does NOT work
 * Let usb-storage see the device, and everything except the first gen works.

This is a sucky choice, but we went with the last one, it benefits the
greatest number of users.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming