Re: ZTE modems in unusual_devices

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Greg KH wrote:

> > 	commit d547f13472adc99721d6eb756085276a8a342366
> > 	Author: Phil Dibowitz <phil@xxxxxxxx>
> > 	Date:   Sun Jan 11 18:46:20 2009 +0100
> >
> > 	    USB: Remove ZTE modem from unusual_devices
> > removes the 0x19d2/0x2000 modem from unusual devs, because this VID/PID
> > combination still can have different models which require different magic
> > to be switched to modem mode.
> > I believe we should at least try to send "eject" command to these devices
> > once they are detected, as that is sufficient to switch the mode for most
> > of them, and I don't think it has potential to break anything. And we
> > could simply.
> ???

Usually, these devices, when intially plugged into system, they present
themselves as either mass-storage device, or USB CD-ROM. This is because
other operating systems (TM) will then automatically look into this newly
inserted this, and happily install drivers from there.

Then the driver switches the device from the storage mode into
modem/serial mode, and you can use it normally.

For the two devices I currently have here (and from what I have
heard/googled, it's common to to other devices too), sending simple eject
command to them is sufficient to switch them from the storage mode to the
modem mode.

> > This way, we provide working modem to at least some subset of the devices
> > automatically, others will still need to use usb_switchmode tool, but I
> > even this I think is more user friendly.
> Do you have a proposed patch for this?  I don't mind, if it fixes
> problems that people are having with these devices.

Will send you one, once I properly test it with the devices I have.

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs