Re: What is TDI in ehci_is_TDI()

On Thursday 05 February 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

> > I wonder what does "TDI" stand for in ehci_is_TDI()? The current one
> > checks hcd->has_tt, as in ehci.h:
>
> "TDI" is the abbreviation for a company name (I don't know what the
> original full name was).

TransDimension Inc, as I recall.

They sold some EHCI design -- at the level of "integrate this
into your FPGA, ASIC, or SoC" -- and that design was licensed
to a variety of vendors.

The key feature from what I recall:  "integrated TT", so that
you didn't need a companion OHCI (or other) controller.  I was
told that TDI got a patent on that notion; I'm a bit surprised
that Intel didn't get the patent, it seemed kind of obvious.

Ownership of that EHCI design has been shuffled around to several
other companies by now ... TDI bought by company X, X bought by Y,
and so on.

A patch to add a helpful comment would probably a Good Thing.  :)

- Dave