Re: Cannot seem to have a genesys 4port hispeed hub (05e3:0608) working high speed

Hello,

Sorry, the USB terminology is pretty stupid, so I have to rephrase my "human"
terms to "usb terms".

And thanks Alan for your reply.

Alan Stern <stern@...> writes:
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, peter gervai wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I tried extensively to look up similar problems, and tried several magical
> >  moves without success, so I fallback here.
> >
> > The device is 05e3:0608, or Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB, and as
> > my searched conclude this seems to be a common chipset (or not, since they
> > all seem to talk about 0607 and others).
> >
> > The board is Intel D945PVS, or 82801G / ICH7. Possesses 8 usb 2.0 ports
> > [EHCI/UHCI] on board.  Kernel is  2.6.27.2.
> >
> >For a test I can plug a pen into the port I use for testing and it comes up
> >  full speed, as well as an SD/MC reader does.
>
> You say the pen drive and the card reader end up running at full speed?
> Do you have _any_ device that will run at high speed on that computer?
> If not, then most likely the USB hardware on the computer isn't working
> right.

Sorry, terminology problem. Pen and card reader was running HIGHSPEED (usb2.0,
which is the full speed of the device, which isn't "full speed" by USB talk),
corectly.

Hub does run at usb1.1, or "full speed", while it should be capable of "high
speed".

> Conversely, if you plug the Genesys hub into other computers, does it
> then run at high speed?  If not, then most likely the hub isn't working
> right.

Well I do not have plenty of computers around (at least not with USB2.0 plugs,
as I have plenty of junk anyway), the one which possess USB2.0 but is a very
similar chipset, and it sees the hub "full speed" (usb1.1) as well. That's why
I asked about whether anyone met this chipset and whether it ran high speed
anywhere at all.

> > Feb  7 15:52:33 narya kernel: [827442.494242] ehci_hcd 0000:00:1d.7: port
> >  4 full speed --> companion
>
> Here you see that the EHCI hardware on the computer thinks it has
> detected that the Genesys hub doesn't want to run at high speed.

Yes but this one was weird to me:

> > Feb  7 15:52:33 narya kernel: [827442.754023] usb 3-2: new full speed USB
> > device using uhci_hcd and address 11
> > Feb  7 15:52:33 narya kernel: [827442.887546] usb 3-2: not running at top
> > speed; connect to a high speed hub

So the hub states that it's a high-speed device, and the USB subsystem seems
to be aware of that fact. I'll try to talk to Genesys about this, since I'm
out of permutations available on my present hardware pool.

It's pretty hard to claim faulty hardware usb-wise since it's a mistery to
hardware shops... they probably couldn't tell 1.1 from 2.0 even if forced by
firearms.

Peter