Re: [RFC] pass sg lists to HCDs if supported

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009, David Vrabel wrote:

> Too clarify, there is no hardware that a) supports scatter-gather in
> hardware and b) doesn't support DMA at all times.

I'm not so sure about that.  Didn't Dave just describe some hardware
with exactly those properties?

Besides, it doesn't matter whether the scatter-gather support exists in
hardware or in software.  Either way, we should be able to pass a
scatterlist to the HCD.

> Anyway, the sensible thing to do is for usbcore to /not/ map the
> scatterlist and leave that up to the HCD.

For now, I agree.  For the future...  I still think it would be best
for every HCD to support discontiguous buffers.

Alan Stern