Re: Ericsson F3507g "stolen" by option driver

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:11:39PM +0100, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >> When the 'mbm' driver is accepted upstream, the option.c patch is no
> >> longer required, and the VID/PID can be dropped from option.c.
> >
> > As that seems to not being anywhere close to happening yet, we'll just
> > leave this as-is for now :(
>
> Are there any other issues preventing this than
> 1) the naming scheme discussion
> 2) proper patch mail submission
> ?

Both of those remain to be done.  Others might turn up as part of both
of them.

> If the naming really is confusing to end users, then I guess the major
> distributions will install udev rules to care of that.  Such rules could
> also be bundled with the userspace tools, I guess.

naming needs to be agreed apon in a LSB-compliant manner, it's not a
trivial thing to paper over.

> The important issue now, IMHO, is getting the driver out and tested.

That too would be nice.

The drivers/staging/ tree can accomplish this if people want to submit
it for inclusion there.

thanks,

greg k-h