Re: strange USB storage failure with 2.6.29-rc2

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 20:06:07 -0800, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On a 64bit 2.6.29-rc2 system (and a few earlier kernels that I have
> tried) I can no longer use USB sticks.

So how do you know that you "no longer" can use USB sticks if you
did not find a kernel where it worked? It's either one or the other.

> > >From the middle of the log (after the partition table has been read):
> >
> > > [   32.056855] usb-storage: queuecommand called
> > > [   32.056886] usb-storage: *** thread awakened.
> > > [   32.056888] usb-storage: Command START_STOP (6 bytes)

Middle huh. I _really_ wish people stopped editing their logs. How
am I supposed to determine if this was sent immediately after open
(e.g. your HAL is screwing with you), or it happened after a time
of inactivity?

In the latter case you might try to comment out
sdev->allow_restart = 1  from scsiglue.c.
It was added there for a specific reason: Seagate FreeAgent.
We can easily make it specific for Seagate, *IF* commenting it helps.

In the former case, well, complain to distro.

> The other one is "why isn't the USB stack filtering that command when
> it comes down from SCSI?"

GOD, NO. We went down that road before.

-- Pete

P.S. If userland were sending these commands, ub would fail too.
So it's not a heaven from this problem.