Re: crash in usb_hc_died+0x16 when unplugging usb-c dock

On 30/08/16 21:52, Richard van der Hoff wrote:
On 30/08/16 19:48, Alan Stern wrote:
On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Richard van der Hoff wrote:

I have a USB-3.1 dock; sometimes I see a kernel panic when I unplug it,
which hangs the entire system. It appears that the first unplug is
successful; the second one normally triggers a crash.

Please try applying the patch at the bottom of this email:

    http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=147195533502706&w=2

There's a good chance it will fix your problem.

Ah yup, that does look promising. Thanks for the pointer, will give it a
go and report back...

Yup, it's much better. I haven't seen any more panics since I applied the patch. Thanks again for the pointer.

I think there might be an outstanding problem with the usb devices sometimes not being correctly picked up on hotplug, but I've only seen that once, and suddenly it all started working again. I'll try to gather some more useful information.