Re: When unplug USB device, another USB device access failed

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 Saito.Koichiro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> When testing in my environment, total retry times was 32ms.
> In my environment, interval of retrying was 125us. Is this difference
> different of cpu? (my testing cpu is Pentium 4 3.4GHz)

Yes, that is probably the reason.  My CPU is slower than yours.

> I'm anxious whether this overhead affect other process.
> I am sorry, I don't know in limited knowledge whether this overhead is
> within acceptable. If you know that this overhead isn't problem,
> please tell me reason.

I don't know.  And I'm starting to think that we don't need to retry
for such a long time -- persistent errors should be handled by the
higher-level drivers.  Perhaps a count of 32 or so would be enough.

> >There were a few other changes, some stylistic and some functional.
> >We could consider merging this -- except that of course Dave has to
> >review it.  An important special case to think about: What happens if
> >the device isn't running at high speed?
> When I unload ehci_hcd module, I repeated whether XactErr
> occurred for about one hour. But the error didn't occur.
> In other speed, I don't know what have an impact.

You did not understand my question.  What happens if ehci_hcd is
_loaded_ and the device is running at full speed or low speed because
it is a USB-1.1 device plugged into a high-speed hub?

Alan Stern