RE: HCD_USB2 flag, ehci host controller, no FS/LS support

> > Hello,
> >
> > We are working with a host controller on a PowerPC embedded board.
It is
> > an EHCI host controller. However, there are no UHCI/OHCI host
> > controllers on the board. Therefore, if a FS/LS device plugs onto
the
> > board, Linux will try to hand the port to a companion controller,
which
> > is not there, and this causes the EHCI host controller die (or maybe
the
> > port is marked dead?), and unplug the device causes no "disconnect"
> > report. The host controller also does not respond to further plug in
of
> > a HS device.
>
> In theory this should work okay.  It's not clear why your host
> controller dies.  It could be a bug in the hardware design.

I suspect a hardware bug too. Can you give me some pointer of what I
should expect if the host controller does not support FS/LS, and a FS/LS
device connects to the host controller?

> > I wonder whether there is a way to configure the kernel such that if
> > FS/LS device plugged in (where the host controller will not enable
the
> > port), Linux will tell the user that "FS/LS devices are not
supported",
> > and do nothing. When the device disconnects, "disconnect" will be
> > reported, and further plug-ins of HS devices can continue on.
>
> There is no way to do this, for a good reason: Hosts that don't
support
> FS/LS are in violation of the USB spec.

I know, but it seems make some sense on embedded systems. For example, a
HS video camera, or a USB stick are the only expected devices that will
connect to your system. However, sometimes, a user may mistakenly plug
in a non-HS device. We would like to tell the user about his/her
mistake, however, keep the host controller alive.

> > Thanks, Pandita, that makes sense. I changed the two function
> > registrations to NULL, and got following message if plug in a USB
mouse:

> > hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> > hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> > hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> > hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> > hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
> >
> > And the host controller is dead (not responsive) after this.
>
> Do you have CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled in your kernel?  Have you tried
> using usbmon to see what happens when the mouse is plugged in?

I do have USB_DEBUG configured in the kernel, however, I do not get any
print on the embedded system. Strange though, if I put some printk's,
and omit and "\n", some debug message will show up, however, not all of
them. I did have USB_MON configured in, however, at kernel start up, it
says:

usbmon: debugfs is not available

Thanks for your help,
Julie.