Re: HCD_USB2 flag, ehci host controller, no FS/LS support

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Julie Zhu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are working with a host controller on a PowerPC embedded board. It is
> an EHCI host controller. However, there are no UHCI/OHCI host
> controllers on the board. Therefore, if a FS/LS device plugs onto the
> board, Linux will try to hand the port to a companion controller, which
> is not there, and this causes the EHCI host controller die (or maybe the
> port is marked dead?), and unplug the device causes no "disconnect"
> report. The host controller also does not respond to further plug in of
> a HS device.

In theory this should work okay.  It's not clear why your host
controller dies.  It could be a bug in the hardware design.

> I wonder whether there is a way to configure the kernel such that if a
> FS/LS device plugged in (where the host controller will not enable the
> port), Linux will tell the user that "FS/LS devices are not supported",
> and do nothing. When the device disconnects, "disconnect" will be
> reported, and further plug-ins of HS devices can continue on.

There is no way to do this, for a good reason: Hosts that don't support
FS/LS are in violation of the USB spec.

> Thanks, Pandita, that makes sense. I changed the two function
> registrations to NULL, and got following message if plug in a USB mouse:
>
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-0:1.0: Cannot enable port 1.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
>
> And the host controller is dead (not responsive) after this.

Do you have CONFIG_USB_DEBUG enabled in your kernel?  Have you tried
using usbmon to see what happens when the mouse is plugged in?

Alan Stern