Re: How to read & back up data of SIM Card using its Reader?

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 10:41:24PM +0530, Susmita/Rajib Bandopadhyay wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
> I am a FOSS enthusiast.
> Recently, I have run into a problem.  Although it is a long-standing
> problem, this is a special case of the issue.
> I placed the queries on Debian and Knoppix forums with sufficient information.
> The issue is this:
>
> How to back up data of SIM Card with its Reader?
> Links:
> (1) http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=128156
> (2) http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/31824-How-to-back-up-SIM-Card-data-with-its-Reader?p=133623#post133623
> Postby bkpsusmitaa » 2016-04-29 09:13
>
> I recently bought a Master Gold USB 2.0 SIM Card Reader [model
> MG-008], having compatibility with Doze XP, 2000, Me, Vista and OSX
> 10.2+.
> I also have the mini-CD which has the software that allows Doze users
> to access the SIM card.
> I lament because with a dozing system like Doze people can access
> everything via applications, while Linux, with so much power, can't.
> I want to back up my SIM card data.
> Are you aware of a package that can help me do this and more?
> Symbian and Android can do it, so therefore can Linux.
> I am sure my more able compatriots would be able to do it.
> Eager to hear from you, leaders!
>
> Regarding the codes:
> [code]lsusb -v[/code]
> [quote]
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 14cd:6700 Super Top Card Reader
> Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x14cd Super Top
>   idProduct          0x6700 Card Reader
>   bcdDevice            2.01
>   iManufacturer           1
>   iProduct                3
>   iSerial                 2
>   bNumConfigurations      1
>   Configuration Descriptor:
>     bLength                 9
>     bDescriptorType         2
>     wTotalLength           32
>     bNumInterfaces          1
>     bConfigurationValue     1
>     iConfiguration          0
>     bmAttributes         0x80
>       (Bus Powered)
>     MaxPower              100mA
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        0
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
> [...]

Why would you mount a hid device?  This is a mass storage device, it
should be mounted automatically by your system when you plug it in, or
you can run:
	mount /dev/sdc /tmp/x

if you have a /tmp/x directory and /dev/sdc is the block device.

What is the kernel log messages when you plug the device in?  You can
get that by doing:

Before plugging in:
	sudo dmesg -c

Plug the device in.