Re: [patch v2] net/usb: remove err() messages in few drivers

Hello, all

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Oliver Neukum <oliver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Am Tuesday 13 January 2009 11:08:27 schrieb Alexey Klimov:

>> > intf->dev is going to be "obviously correct", the others aren't.
>> >

>> Is this patch touch  kaweth_disconnect() ? I see dev_warn and dev_info
>> there. No dev_err.
>
> No, it does not. But you need to make sure that the devices you refer to
> in debug messages are always valid. Functions that you do touch may
> run after disconnect() has run. A debug message that oopses does no good.
> If you cannot make sure you pass a valid device to dev_err/info don't use
> them. It is as simple as that.

Yes, that's obviously right. I'll review and check patch again.
Thank you for your advices.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 12:46 PM, David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday 12 January 2009, Alexey Klimov wrote:
>> -                               err("submit(rx_urb) status %d", res);
>> +                               dev_err(&catc->usbdev->dev, "submit(rx_urb) status %d\n", res);
>

> That's the same as urb->dev though.
>
> Use the interface passed into probe():  dev_err(&intf->dev, ...) etc

Well, in few v4l-dvb drivers successfully used &radio->usbdev->dev in
debug messages and that doesn't look wrong.

Hmm, i see that struct usb_interface passed to probe function for
example, and here in catc_irq_done struct urb passed, and then we have
struct catc. So, messages based on catc->usbdev->dev. I can switch to
&catc->netdev->dev when it's safe to do, right?
I didn't see way we can use &intv->dev in such functions. Am i wrong ?
In probe functions &intf->dev is right.

Btw, in patch "USB: remove info() macro from usb network drivers"

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=880c9c66a60c0aa4fb4dac2da9679da5f8f41903

few messages based on &urb->dev->dev.

--
Best regards, Klimov Alexey