Re: USB mass storage resets

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:17:24 +0000, Matt Holgate <matt-linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8
> What I really want to know is, are these messages serious? Are they just
>   warnings, or is there a risk of data loss? Can I just filter them out
> of my logcheck?

Something is not right with the hardware somewhere. Usually it's
a cable, but may be just a lemon unit.

There's a possibility that a bug triggers them. I see Oliver suggested
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG, but this is a heavy artillery in case you
are sure it's a bug. For starters I would try to enable ub and flip
over to it with:
echo 'ub' > /sys/modules/libusual/parameters/bias
If ub resets too, most likely just hardware.

-- Pete