USB mass storage resets

Hi,

Sorry if this is a stupid question; I've seen a lot of references to my problem on the internet, but I've not found an authoritative answer to it :(.

I just got a new USB harddisk (Seagate FreeAgent, if it is useful), and I seem to be getting a lot of messages in the kernel log when the drive is busy:

usb 4-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 8

I do *not* see any other errors (e.g. related to FS problems). Previously I saw some FS errors, but these went away when I fixed an issue with the drive spinning down.

I've tried altering the max_sectors value, to no avail.

What I really want to know is, are these messages serious? Are they just warnings, or is there a risk of data loss? Can I just filter them out of my logcheck?

Many thanks in advance,
Matt.