Re: PROBLEM: Mouse connected to USB-3 stopped working 2.6.38->39 regression

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Peter Hurley wrote:

> On 04/09/2016 08:00 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Apr 2016, Sam Sany wrote:
> >> I have yet to try the 4.5 kernel.  I prefer to use a low-latency kernel, bc
> >> the primary purpose of this machine is recording music.  So I have been
> >> downloading the newest source code available in the Ubuntu Studio
> >> repositories, configuring with the xhci drivers modulized (by default Ubuntu
> >> makes them builtin), and compiling from that.  If I download the source for
> >> 4.5, is there somewhere I can find a .config file that would allow for low-
> >> latency performance?
> >
> > What do you mean by low-latency kernel?  I'm not aware of any
> > low-latency patches.
> >
> > There is the RT series, of course.  But it's for bounded latency, not
> > low latency.  And as far as I know, it's not available for 4.5.
>
> low-latency kernel is a packaged Ubuntu alternate kernel configured as
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y + CONFIG_HZ=1000.
>
> The stock Ubuntu kernel is CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY=y + CONFIG_HZ=250.

You can probably just copy the .config you're using now; it should be
supplied as part of the Ubuntu package.  You'd have to make a few
adjustments for the differences between 4.2 and 4.5 but they wouldn't
be very extensive.

Alan Stern