Re: ds2490 kernel module

Gregg Levine wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Woody Miller <woody8@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but if not, please point me
to a better place - I've been looking all over.

There's kernel module for the Dallas DS9490, a USB <-> 1_wire adapter
(ds2490).

I have my own interface, written using libusb - maybe 5 years back.  I'm
interested in moving to the kernel module, but have yet to find any
documentation on what it's really intended for, or the proper way to
interface to it.  Where might I find it?

The reason I ask here is that ds2490 "seems" to make use of linux-usb stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Hello!
Actually, to my mind you're in the right place. However to go further
on this have you looked into the One Wire File System or
http://www.owfs.org project?

It is essentially a deeper dive regarding how the device works, and
more importantly it also describes how to make further use of the
device and other One-Wire devices via Linux. I should know, I'm a
member of that august outfit.

Why don't you here describe your LibUSB applications, I am of course
interested, but I don't know about the rest of the group.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8@xxxxxxxxx
"This signature was once found posting rude
 messages in English in the Moscow subway."

It's a home automation application, interfacing to both 1-wire devices (temp, switch, id devices), as well as X10.

It's been running for about 5 years. I started with the 1-Wire PD kit, which used libusb. When I wrote the X10 interface (for a cm15a), I used libusb. As the 0.1 version of libusb wasn't really multi-threaded, I had some juggling to do, and got things working..

Anyway, with libusb 1.0, things arent working with both interfaces active. (actually, today, I'm using the libusb 0.1-compat layer for libusb 1.0), and upon finding the ds2490 module, I thought it was worth looking into.. Yesterday I did download owfs, so I got a few options

1) make my current stuff work with libusb 1.0, and forget about the compatibility layer
2) find a way to use ds2490 (if acceptible)
3) owfs (but will the libusb issue get me there too?)

If the ds2490 module isn't the answer, I want it excluded at boot time, as right now, I get a TON of errors before I detach it (with the libusb call)