Re: USB sniffer? (devel)

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 20:30:51 +0100, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But then I do not know, IF I need only one OUTPUT Endpoint, or do I need
> 4 Endpoints (one for the normal ATX PSU, and  three  for  the  expansion
> slots).

This just makes no sense. Endpoints are there just to identify
the USB transport addresses within a class protocol, so I don't
see under what condition their number would have anything to do
with the number of PSUs in a UPS.

I don't know anything about the details of HID, but most likely
you either need several reports in the single HID device (one or
several per every slot), or several interfaces (each of which
carries two endpoints, coincidentially). The latter is called
a "composite device", and is normally used for something that
combines functions (a keyboard with SD slot has three interfaces:
1 HID for PS/2 mouse, 1 HID for keyboard, 1 storage).

I don't think usbmon would help you to design the correct number
of interfaces of a device. Stop trying to reverse-engineer Linux
with usbmon, all the source code is open and available. You are
better off adding printk() into places of interest.

-- Pete