Re: USB sniffer? (devel)

Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 09:02:25 +0100, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I an developing a "24V DC modular ATX PSU" which act like a  UPS  and  I
>> have problems with the USBHID-PDU stuff...
>>
>> Q 1:    Is there a commandline tool, which can  be  used  to  sniff  USB
>>         traffic and able to analyse singel (selected) endpoints?
>
> The usbmon is useful, but keep in mind that it only shows a higher
> level overview of transfers that kernel does. So you will not see
> SOF and NAK frames for example. If you have trouble with your UPS-like
> device not working, it may need some traces generated by its own
> firmware. I understand that may be tough if you don't have enough
> RAM in the device, but c'est la vie.

This is something I've run into problems with a few times. What's the reason
usbmon can't dumb *everything* (ala SnoopyPro in windows)?

> Alan Stern once posted a very useful sheet to decode the usbmon's
> output, I saved it here:
>  http://people.redhat.com/zaitcev/notes/usb_stern_cheat.txt

Bookmarked, thanks. BTW....

s/harward/harvard/

=)

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming