Re: USB sniffer? (devel)

Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:39:04 +0100, Phil Dibowitz <phil@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> This is something I've run into problems with a few times. What's the reason
>>> usbmon can't dumb *everything* (ala SnoopyPro in windows)?
>> What does specifically SnoopyPro show that usbmon doesn't?
>> Surely it cannot show you NAK, IN, etc. The hardware does not tell us.
>> If can pretend to show SOF, by enabling SOF interrupts and reading
>> the frame counter, but even so it's a lie. Other than that we have
>> approximately the same URBs that Windows have.
>
> The text interface to usbmon doesn't show complete packets; it shows
> only the first 32 bytes or so.  The binary interface to usbmon doesn't
> have this limitation.

Yup, when comparing data dumps between the two, it's limiting.

> The binary interface can't be used directly from the command line, but
> it is supported by wireshark.

Oh? I'll have to go re-read the usbmon documentation, I must have missed that.

Thanks.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@xxxxxxxx
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming