Re: Page allocation failure

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 04:02:48PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
>> So what is the road from here? I guess the original questions about cache
>> coherency still apply, and that this is what I'm seeing in dmesg.
> What questions?  It should be obvious that the user program should not
> touch the buffer contents while the transfer is taking place.

The subthread I'm thinking of starts at

  http://marc.info/?l=linux-usb&m=138091207413756&w=2

I can't claim to have gone deeply into the details, though.

> What are you seeing in dmesg?

Several copies of

[ 1175.838536] x86/PAT: app:2838 map pfn RAM range req uncached-minus for [mem 0x9fa4c000-0x9fa4ffff], got write-back

> The next step would be to massage the patch and get it into a form
> suitable for applying.  This may well include changing the way the API
> works; for example, I'm not sure that allocating memory should be a
> separate step from mmap.

Yes, it sounds a bit odd to me, too.

I suppose there's no way to let userspace allocate this memory? Again,
for me personally it would be ideal to be able to give it in from a PBO
(ie., GPU memory).

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: https://www.sesse.net/