Resetting USB modems and USB to serial converters increases ttyUSBXX counter

Hi all,

Due to some hardware issues, I have to reset USB modems and a USB to
serial converter on some of my servers. What I noticed is that
/dev/ttyUSBXX devices are never reused: ttyUSB1 becomes ttyUSB3 e.g.
and so on. This looks fine, but we have to do it rather often, so
after a while we reach ttyUSB511 after which the system refuses to
create new ttyUSB devices (I guess this is a hard limit in the kernel
code).

This issue seems unsolvable with anything less than a reboot. Is there
a better way? Why are ttyUSB device numbers of devices that have
already disappeared not reused?

Tested on Debian 8 with 3.16 kernel.

Kind regards,
Erwin