Re: mass storage behaviour

On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, Paul Jones wrote:

> >> Why is Windows so much faster?  Or to put it another way, why is Linux
> >> slow?  How can we improve things?
> >
> > I don't know. We were doing our performance demos using Windows, so we
> > never looked into why Linux was slower. But I do know the Microsoft
> > engineers put some effort into tuning their stack for good performance
> > at USB 3.0 speeds. I don't think anyone has done that for Linux yet.
> It seems that Mac OSX is faster when using a file system on an emulated device.
> dd directly to the block device on my Mac gives me around 137MB/s, whilst copying data onto a mounted filesystem (also with dd) runs at over 180MB/s.

I don't see how this comment is relevant to the question at hand,
namely, why does the mass-storage gadget run faster when attached to a
Windows host than when attached to a Linux host.

I also don't see how "an emulated device" fits in here.  In both tests,
you copied data to a block device: once directly and once through the
filesystem.  Nothing was emulated.

Finally, are you sure you are seeing the actual throughput and not just
the rate of copying into a page cache?  It would be better to test
using reads instead of writes, because a read can't complete before
the data is retrieved from the device.

Getting back to the earlier problem, it's true there are some things we
could do in usb-storage to speed up transfer rates.  We don't have to
wait for the CBW to complete before we start the data phase, and we
don't have to wait for the data phase to complete before we submit the
CSW URB (although this can get tricky if the device ends a write
transfer with a STALL).  It's not clear how much these changes would
help, but they wouldn't hurt.

Alan Stern