Re: Overly conservative xHCI bandwidth estimation

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 03:24:04PM +0300, Mathias Nyman wrote:
> Driver will tell the latency value to the host controller, when a exit
> latency time is set the host will know that the link is power managed, and
> host will start to schedule additional PING TP transfers to the device to
> wake the link up to U0.  the PING TP tranfers are sent Max-exit-latency
> microeseconds before the actual transfer to make sure link is woken up in
> time.  It's possible that this impacts on the bandwidth.
>
> It's also very possible that the max exit latency is calculated wrong, or
> that one of the other parameters set with the same "evaluate context"
> command is wrong

Just so that it doesn't get lost: I've reported issues with this specific
device and LPM not too long ago. It's entirely possible that the device
somehow is broken, although it works in Windows 7/8/10 and OS X, from what I
know, and at least Windows 10 uses USB3 LPM.

Perhaps figuring out what's wrong with the ping timeouts would also fix this
issue? I'm afraid I don't have any fancy USB analyzer equipment to debug
with, though.

In any case, I'll reiterate my request to turn off LPM for a specific device,
no matter whose fault these specific issues are. :-)

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/