Re: GPIO support for Silicon Labs cp210x USB serial

On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:59:32 -0700
"John D. Blair" <johnb-VAraepgqNCc/CDIEhCN/twC/G2K4zDHf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-07-23 at 18:00 +0200, Johan Hovold wrote:
> > The short answer is that we do not want custom driver ioctls. Any gpio
> > implementation needs to based on gpiolib, which provides a
> > standardised
> > interface.
> >
> I understand.
>
> We will evaluate and decide if the work is worth it for us to do.

FWIW I'm planning to do this work. I've just started cleaning up the
cp210x sources, but my goal is to get gpio support (and not using
IOCTLs).

One of the challenges is that the CP210x device is in fact two logical
devices (the serial port and the GPIO), so theoretically, there should
be two drivers and a common module to handle resource conflicts, but I
believe this would be overkill.

I'll see how it goes with the upstream maintainers. ;-)

Petr T