GPIO support for Silicon Labs cp210x USB serial

Dear USB devs,

I have a question regarding GPIO support for the Silicon Labs cp210x USB
serial driver.

Silicon Labs provides GPIOs on the CP210x USB serial hardware. Silicon
Labs also supplies a version of the cp210x driver which provides ioctl()
support allowing control of these GPIOs.

Support of the ioctl() requires adding some additional code to read the
specific cp210x chip version, as GPIO support varies across the product
line.

My question is: do you know why this GPIO support hasn't been integrated
into the mainline kernel?  Is it just Silicon Labs being lazy, or is
there a technical reason this vendor-specific extension has been left
out?

Our application uses one of these GPIOs and we prefer to submit all our
required changes upstream to simplify future maintenance.

If there is no technical or stylistic objection that you know of I will
prepare a patch based on Silicon Lab's implementation.

The Silicon Labs driver is available here:
https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

best,
John.