Re: Data loss with usb dvb tuners that is "fixed" by spinning a cpu - how to debug?

On Sun, 5 Jul 2015, Andy Furniss wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
>
> >> Is 0u the wrong thing to do?
> >
> > It depends on what you want.  If you want complete details (all the
> > packets, all the data) then you need to use the binary interface,
> > i.e., wireshark or dumpcap.
> >
> > But if it helps to know that roughly one packet in every four is
> > received with length 0 (or possibly is not received at all), then
> > maybe your usbmon capture has served a useful purpose.
>
> Thanks for looking - for this mux on average I would expect 42 (188)
> packets per 64 x 940 "line" and though rare I see sometimes there can be
> more than one (x188) in a 940 usb packet.
>
> I know I only lost 13 packets out if 1.7 million - I was hoping there
> may be some way to see why or if in fact they were missing from the
> usbmon dump.
>
> I am kicking my self now though, I had some time ago downloaded an app
> called usbmon and if I use that I see it shows the real data length per
> line rather than 60160 - so I could have just totted up to see if it
> matched the recording. Of course if it uses too much CPU to do this it
> will be no use as I won't get any loss!
>
> Next time I get some time (and no one needs the internet as it's also my
> router) to put a monitor back on the problem board I will try again -
> xhci is disabled again in bios as using ehci is almost a 100% workaround
> for me. I did try building xhci as a module in the hope of easier
> testing but I still didn't get ehci for the usb2 ports.

Another possibility, if you can figure out a good way to describe what
you're looking for, it to manually add some testing and logging to one
of the kernel drivers.  I don't know what you would test for, though.

Alan Stern