Re: Disk access keeps causing serial/USB failures?

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 01:21:30PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> This strongly suggests that the problem lies in the hubs (or in one of
> them).  Something caused a hub to disconnect, and when that happened
> all of the serial ports downstream from that hub went along for the
> ride.

Hi Alan, thanks for your answer.

So, when my serial ports go bad, I detect it on a high level, and one of
my 4 port serial USB hub was connected into a powered USB hub where I
can toggle ports on and off.
In that case, the port got cycled, causing a full reset and things to
start working again.

But, you made me realize that my 4 and 8 port USB serial hubs are USB
hubs themselves with 4 or 8 FTDI converts in them.
So, I plugged the 4 port one directly into the PC (the other one was
already directly connected too), and added external power to it just in
case.

We'll see if that helps.

However, I have many many logs that show that my problems are happening
during periods of high disk activity, mostly at night when I'm running
rsync backups, so it still looks like there is a link between the 2.

I'll report back after some time running with the USB serial converters
connected directly into the PC.

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....