Re: Unable to access USB mass storage device with xhci. okay with ehci

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015, Steve Bangert wrote:

> What i did was not correct, usb-storage.quirks=174c:55aa:u was added to
> /etc/default/grub file after GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet", using
> the grub-configurator tool
> followed by a reboot and i now have a working usb storage device
> using xhci. Here's the usbmon trace and the dmesg log is attached.
>
> I also found a comment in the source code file (uas-detect.h see
> attached) that states that my device, the ASMedia bridge is not
> supported by the uas driver.

The comment does not say that.  It refers to a different model from
yours.  You can tell because the comment says that the non-working
ASM1051 supports 32 streams, whereas your device supports 16.

In fact, as far as I can tell, your device _does_ work with the uas
driver provided max_sectors isn't too high (i.e., <= 240, which is the
default value used by usb-storage).  Unfortunately, the uas driver
doesn't provide any way to set max_sectors.

You can test this by adding a line that says:

	.max_sectors = 240,

anywhere inside the definition of uas_host_template in the uas.c source
file.

> So my next question is there a way to bind usb-storage to this device
> and have a working device out of the box without the hassle of adding
> a module parameter?

We should ask Hans, since he wrote the comment and code in uas-detect.h
and presumably has a better understanding of the situation.

Alan Stern