Re: xhci_hcd error Transfer event TRB DMA ptr not part of current TD ep_index 8 comp_code 1

> At the moment I only have access to laptops, not a desktop,
> so the EHCI testing was on a different machine, with the Ubuntu
> 3.13 kernel.  If you'd like me to test on a more recent kernel,
> please let me know.

Ok.  That's a useful data point.

>> It's also worth mentioning that the process you're exercising isn't
>> just the code path for device insertion.  The udev process and
>> PulseAudio will both try to connect to the device as soon as the
>> underlying device nodes appear, so it's possible there is some race
>> condition where the device is being accessed and registers are being
>> poked before initialization is complete.  I cannot say for certain
>> this would be an issue with cx231xx, but I've definitely seen it with
>> other V4L2 drivers.  That might also explain why you see different
>> behavior at boot - the driver loads early enough in the boot process
>> such that initialization completes before processes like udev and
>> pulseaudio get a chance to interact with it.
>
> Good point, although the problems occur when the device is present
> during boot.  It works fine if it is plugged in after boot.  However it
> does appear to be some sort of timing / race condition.
>
> Any other suggestions?

My guess would be that there's some bug in the cx231xx that
exacerbates an edge case in the XHCI core - like prematurely setting
the USB alternate back to zero when stopping streaming and not
canceling all the URBs first.

> Do you know if the cx23102 datasheet is available?  All I've been able
> to find is a two page sheet with a block diagram.

It is not publicly available.  I have it under NDA.  That said, I
suspect we're not dealing with anything that is really specific to the
cx231xx chip, but rather just some general bug in the URB handling in
the cx231xx driver.

As a test, you may wish to try disabling the cx231xx-audio module.
That will help narrow down an interaction with ALSA, pulseaudio, and
one of the two sources of URB queueing.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs