Re: External USB3 HDD: logical sector size incorrectly detected on first connect

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015, Marc Joliet wrote:

> OK, so obviously the drive is doing something wrong.  I'm just confused about
> why one way works and not the other:
>
> - Boot up the computer with the drive attached: failure.
>
> - Boot up the computer without the drive attached, load the required kernel
>   modules, and plug it in: success.
>
> I would think that, if it's solely the drive's fault, neither case would work,
> since in both cases I'm plugging the drive in for the first time and it has
> not spun up yet, and in both cases the uas and usb-storage modules are loaded
> beforehand (albeit with a larger delay in the second case).  That is: what is
> the difference from the drive's perspective?

Like Matt suggested, the most reasonable possibility is an interaction
with the BIOS.

> (Also, why does Windows, without any manually installed drivers, work, then?)

No way to know unless you can trace the communication between Windows
and the drive.  There are a few USB sniffer programs available for
Windows, but I don't know if you'll be able to get them to start before
Windows has detected the drive.

> This, and all the other situations I described where the drive worked fine
> (such as turning the drive off for several hours), make me wonder whether you
> or anybody else on this list know of any drives/usb adapters that behave in
> strange ways when they are connected at boot up like this (for example, I read
> of older drives that would initially announce themselves as CD-ROM drives).

There are plenty of devices which do that.  The manufacturers store
drivers, manuals, and other information on the emulated CDs.

No, I don't know of any devices with other crazy behaviors.  But then I
don't try to keep track of such things.

> Of course, if the diagnosis is definitely "the drive did it", then I'm willing
> to resign myself to the notion that nothing can be done about it, however
> disappointing that would be.

Well, it may be possible to replace the adapter.  Or, if you can find
out what Windows does, it may be possible to make Linux do the same
thing.

Alan Stern