Re: xHCI vs legacy usb host controllers (OHCI, UHCI, and EHCI)

On Wed, 4 Mar 2015, temp sha wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it necessary to use xHCI driver for USB 3.0 host controller?

A USB-3 host controller _is_ an xHCI controller.  Obviously it is
necessary to use the xhci-hcd driver to drive an xHCI controller.

>  I am
> trying to support Transdent PNU3 (having usb 3.0 controller) in my h/w
> running 2.6.16 kernel. Is it not
> possible to use other legacy host controllers (ohci/uhci/ehci) already
> available in  2.6.16 kernel ?

You are using the wrong words.  The 2.6.16 kernel doesn't contain
legacy host _controllers_ -- it contains legacy _drivers_.  Those
drivers are capable of handling legacy hardware.  If your PNU3 system
has only an xHCI controller (no OHCI, UHCI, or EHCI controllers) then
the legacy drivers won't do any good.

>  Will usb 3.0 not fallback to usb 2.0
> with legacy drivers ?

No; it falls back with legacy _devices_.  But an xHCI controller cannot
be handled by legacy drivers, even though it can communicate with
legacy devices.

> I do not want to put my effort back-porting xhci
> to old kernel until it is absolutely necessary.

As Greg said, you will be better off putting your effort into getting a
current kernel to work with your hardware.

Alan Stern