Re: xHCI vs legacy usb host controllers (OHCI, UHCI, and EHCI)

On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 11:44:45PM +0530, temp sha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it necessary to use xHCI driver for USB 3.0 host controller?

Yes.

> I am
> trying to support Transdent PNU3 (having usb 3.0 controller) in my h/w
> running 2.6.16 kernel.

You do realize just how old and obsolete 2.6.16 is, right?  You are on
your own here, or go ask the company that you are paying to support this
old kernel version, there's not much the community can do here.

> Is it not
> possible to use other legacy host controllers (ohci/uhci/ehci) already
> available in  2.6.16 kernel ? Will usb 3.0 not fallback to usb 2.0
> with legacy drivers ? I do not want to put my effort back-porting xhci
> to old kernel until it is absolutely necessary.

As someone who tried to do this a long time ago for a vendor enterprise
kernel, it will take over 1000 patches to do it up to the level of USB
3.0 support we had in the 3.0 kernel, and we have come a long way since
then, as 3.0 is very old and also obsolete.

Just move to a newer kernel, it is much easier to do that.

best of luck,

greg k-h