Re: Control message failures kill entire XHCI stack

Hi Mathias,

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 8:40 PM, Alistair Grant <akgrant0710@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Mathias,
>
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Mathias Nyman
> <mathias.nyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 28.02.2015 09:16, Alistair Grant wrote:
>>> * 3.19.0 with the following patches:
>>> * xhci: Allocate correct amount of scratchpad buffers
>>> * xhci: Don't touch TRBs memory if those are no longer on the endpoint ring
>>> * xhci: fix invalid pointer in reset device debugging
>>> * xhci: add debugging for reset device and stop endpoint commands
>>> * xhci: add command ring stop and restart debug messages
>>>

>> Does increasing the TRB count per segment help?
>
> Success!
>
> Increasing TRBS_PER_SEGMENT from 64 to 256 allowed me to successfully
> record two 30 second segments of video, i.e. start recording with
> mythffmpeg, Ctrl-C after 30 seconds, then repeat (this is on top of the
> patched kernel I reported in my last message).
>
> This obviously is good news, it is also better than I typically saw using
> the ehci driver, as often the second attempt would fail with a "Device or
> Resource Busy" message (of course a single test is hardly conclusive, and
> it may still appear).
>
> It's getting a bit late here, so hopefully tomorrow I'll try recording for
> a longer period of time to make sure that succeeds as well.
>
> Included below is the syslog from the time I plugged the Live2 in to
> unplugging it after recording.  There are three types of messages which
> don't look completely normal to me:

I was able to record video for 1 hour today, and then stop and start
recording another 3 times - just a few seconds each, this was more
about ensuring it could stop and start multiple times.

I assume that this is a workaround, and that the core problem of ring
expansion & cancelled URBs is still to be resolved.  Let me know if
you would like that tested when it is ready.

Thanks!
Alistair