Re: default/target product id /vendor id for usb devices

temp sha wrote:
> Yes running usb_modeswitch manually works, but once mode switch is
> done product id is getting changed from 0x1446 to 0x1506.

Look closely in the kernel output and you'll see that no ids change,
but that the old device has disconnected and a new device has
connected.

> looking into the help I found 0x1446 is default product id wheres
> 0x1506 is the target product id. but could not get the idea behind
> this concept.

The USB modem normally appears as a storage device with the Windows
software, so that Windows users can easily install it.

The driver needs to tell the modem to switch from appearing as a
storage device to appearing as an actual modem. usb_modeswitch does
that.

> Yes I do have hotplug but I am trying alternative ways also. eg as I
> said skipping usb-storage loading initially by adding the product id
> in the
> unusual_devs.h and giving opportunity to probe option driver first.

That does not work. The modem needs to be instructed by software to
switch modes.

> as there are two product ids for usb devices I am bit confused which
> once need to be used in unusual_devs.h and the driver option.

Now you know that what usb_modeswitch calls "target device" is the
actual modem. That's the only device that matters for the modem driver.

One could of course argue that the kernel should do modeswitching.
But sometimes it's preferable to have access to the storage device.

//Peter