Re: unable to execute hotplug script

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 10:07 AM, temp sha <temp.sha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to enable hotplugging for usb on my h/w based on 2.6.16 kernel.

I am not sure if you still can get support for such old version.

> The hotplug kernel module is enabled and I have registered a user
> script "test.sh"
> with the proc file system.
>

> /root # echo  "/bin/test.sh"  > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
>
> -------------------
> /root #  cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
> /bin/test.sh
> -------------------
>
> /root # cat /bin/test.sh
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "my hotplug script"

but I am sure this is not the right way to debug a bash script. See below.

> -------------------
>
> I observed that even on plug-in and plug-out my usb device, the
> hotplug script "test.sh"
> is not getting executed though I see that kobject_uevent() of

How do you know the script is not executed? because you did not see
'my hot plug script' printout?
I don't know much about /proc/.../hotplug, but I believe it executes
script callbacks without stdin/out, so there should have no console to
display the echo messages.

I guess you could direct the echo messages to a file in your script to
debug it, for example

echo "my hot plug script" >> /tmp/hotplug-debug.log

Regards,
-Bin.