Re: difference in option.ko and sierra.ko Linux drivers

On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 06:23 -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 02:50:13PM +0530, temp sha wrote:
> > Can any one let me know the difference in option and sierra kernel
> > modules ? looks like both drivers support GSM modem. And from the
> > source code perspective both look similar. I am able to load sierra
> > module for my Huawei USB dongle E156 and able to connect to internet
> > using pppd. Is it OK to use sierra driver for Huawei in case there is
> > no technical issue? If yes why there are two different modules?
>
> They support two different chipsets and control them differently.  If
> the sierra module works for your hardware, great!  Please send us a
> patch that adds the device id to the driver and we will be glad to merge
> it into the kernel tree.

I'd really, really rather not have non-Sierra devices controlled by
'sierra'.  There are some Sierra-specific things the driver does, like
interface enumeration, enabling/disabling power state and NMEA ports
using Sierra-proprietary commands, and a few other things.

Since PPP-using Huawei devices are usually done by 'option', I'd prefer
to have them added there, and if there is some issue, then I'd prefer to
have that issue fixed in option.

Dan