Re: Kernel Ooops upon USB disconnect of a Western Digital My Passport 1TB drive

On Tue, 27 Jan 2015, Athlion wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> On my Thunkpad T420i with 3.18.2 and 3.18.3 kernels, I can reproduce
> the following behaviour 100% of the time:
>
> 1. Connect one of my (NTFS-formatted) WD 1TB 'My Passport' drives via USB.
> 2. Disconnect the cable.
> 3. Kernel Ooops.
>
> For last entries of the journal (it actually caught the kernel oops
> one time, I'm amazed) see the photo here:
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63420/journal.jpg
>
> Please note that the drive need not be mounted at all. In fact, this
> even happens if I stop all graphical and automount services and
> plug-in and then disconnect the cable. Also, other USB drives and USB
> flash disks do not exhibit this behaviour... Go figure!
>
> If I'm on a console, I can only see the last 45 or so lines of the
> stack trace (using KVM 1600x900 resolution console). The first lines
> (along with the initial oops message (caught in the journal) get
> scrolled off so I cannot post anything).
>
> What can I do to further debug this? I'm uncomfortable having any
> plug-in utility writing to my disk after the crash since I'm using
> this laptop for work and have crucial data on it.

If you have another computer handy, you can set up a network console
(or a serial console) so that the entire oops message gets captured.

Also, you could try running the latest 3.19-rc kernel to see if the
problem has already been fixed.

Alan Stern