Re: Learning USB Programming on Linux

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:09:00AM +0800, ivo welch wrote:
> dear experts---I would like to learn how to write programs that
> communicate over USB.  both the host (desktop linux) and the client
> (beaglebone black) are running linux.  I can program both host and
> gadget.  ultimately, I will want to treat one USB port as a dedicated
> link between the two, without other protocols or hubs allowed.  (there
> is reason but no method [yet] to my madness.)

You can do this today with a simple userspace program on both sides of
the connection.

But that's not how USB usually works, read the specs at usb.org for the
details of how different device protocols work.

> for newbies like me, it would be useful to have links to good
> up-to-date documentation that tells us/me at least the basic
> structures.  And I need simple starter skeleton C programs that are
> recommended, current, and functional, that I can extend.  I have seen
> some here and there, usually either very involved or higher level.

That's all userspace, which we don't care about :)

Seriously, the information is out there, linux-usb.org is about the
kernel code, all of which should be very well documented in the kernel
itself, as there is lots of documentation there if you want to write a
kernel driver.

> * I need a basic usb_bulk_msg() sender example with working basic
> "echo" responder at first.

I need a pony :)

Best of luck,

greg k-h