Learning USB Programming on Linux

dear experts---I would like to learn how to write programs that
communicate over USB.  both the host (desktop linux) and the client
(beaglebone black) are running linux.  I can program both host and
gadget.  ultimately, I will want to treat one USB port as a dedicated
link between the two, without other protocols or hubs allowed.  (there
is reason but no method [yet] to my madness.)

I usually like to start with "simplest cases", which in this case
presumably means that the host sends a usb_bulk_msg() and my gadget
prints it on the screen and responds.    I could then slowly
generalize up.

to learn, I started reading on the linux-usb.org website.  the press
release tells me that we just started---in 2001.  the first document
tells me that usb 2.0 is about to be adopted.  (not kidding.)  the usb
programming guide is from 2000.  other front-website content is about
kernel versions 2.2 vs 2.4.  similarly, wider google searches now lead
to tons of other outdated material.  I am afraid that I am going to
spend weeks learning material that will turn out obsolete.  please
don't take my comment here as a complaint---I know you are volunteers
and busy with the code itself.

in any case, I am running 3.13 and it is 2014 now.  someone needs to
update the website.  linux-usb.org is not a wiki, so I can't make
changes.  Stephen---can you decruft this a little, or should I make
some suggestions?

for newbies like me, it would be useful to have links to good
up-to-date documentation that tells us/me at least the basic
structures.  And I need simple starter skeleton C programs that are
recommended, current, and functional, that I can extend.  I have seen
some here and there, usually either very involved or higher level.

* I need a basic usb_bulk_msg() sender example with working basic
"echo" responder at first.

* what's the best way to start learning the USB software stack on
reasonably current kernels, without imposing too much on readers of
this mailing list?

* are there good up-to-date books?

/iaw

----