Re: Suspected (out of tree) HCI issue

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:25:08 -0500 (EST), Alan Stern
<stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since this driver seems to be based on work by Synopsys, maybe someone
> from that company can help.
>
> (By the way, the license information in the ifxhcd.h header file
> doesn't say anything about the GPL.  That doesn't seem kosher.)

Actually the topmost chunk, mentioning Lantiq copyright, does. But it
also says parts (which ?) are copyright Synopsys with a "redistribute
but keep this notice" licence.

> So at time 100.332 the URB completes and the completion routine
> resubmits it.  At time 101.436 the driver tries to kill the URB.  At
> 101.440 the URB completes (presumably with a status code indicating
> that it was killed) and the completion routine resubmits it.
> Evidently the resubmission succeeds, because usb_hcd_submit_urb's
> atomic_dec is not hit.
>
> Resubmission of a killed URB is not supposed to succeed.

Aha, this may just be what I was missing. I was aiming at getting
use_count down by finding some missing completion call, rather than
questioning that last submission's success.

> If it does, it means there's a bug in the HCD: It isn't calling
> usb_hcd_link_urb_to_ep() properly.

Indeed, no trace of this function being called.

> Maybe you can adapt an in-tree HCD to work with your host controller
> hardware.  The ifxhcd driver doesn't look so hot, at first glance.
> Maybe it can be fixed up...

Looking at drivers/usb/host I see quite short files which I understand
as hardware-specific (ex: 551 lines for ehci-terga.c). Such length
should be in my reach, but the 6k lines of some non-[eo]hci are very
likely not. I'll try to understand how this controller would fit in.

Thanks a lot for your answers,
--
Vincent Pelletier