Re: USB controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VL80x xHCI USB 3.0 Controller (rev 03)

On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 01:01:06AM +0100, Stefan Gies wrote:
> Off-board Controller do not initialize external hard disk properly.
> Motherboard MSI FM2-A75MA-P33 with AMD A10-6800k.
>
> Error: If a external hard disk is attached a during a running system
> the drive is mounted without errors. If the hard disk is attached as
> an additional drive, e.g. /data, and the PC and hdd was off, the drive
> will not be found. The system waits for a long time to find the drive,
> but without success. Only switching off the hdd and the PC, the drive
> will bw found on the second or third boot.  I checked the
> configuration with Windows 7 HomePremium and there are no errors. The
> drive will be found at every time I boot the system.

Any hints as to what the kernel log messages are when there are
problems?  Your html attachment didn't show any :)

And can you try the 3.17 kernel release?  Lots of xhci fixes have gone
into there since 3.16 was released.

thanks,

greg k-h