Re: gadget serial driver - configuration value

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > well, setting configuration 0 means that you're not selecting any
>> > configuration. Basically you go back to "Addressed" state, so you can't
>> > use configuration 0 for anything, really.
>> >

>> Sorry for not being clear, I am not setting the configuration to 0.
>> The question was, can we set all the three configuration values of CDC
>> ACM, CDC OBEX, and generic serial to 1?
>> Was there any specific reason as to why the configuration values were
>> set as 1,2 and 3. We cannot have all three at the same time according
>> to the current "if, elseif, else" implementation,
>
> No two configurations can have the same bConfigurationValue.  If the
> gadget has three different configs then it must have three different
> config values.

I agree that no two configurations can have same bConfigurationValue,
but in this case, the implementation is (drivers/usb/gadget/serial.c)

247         if (use_acm) {
248                 serial_config_driver.label = "CDC ACM config";
249                 serial_config_driver.bConfigurationValue = 2;
250                 ...
253         } else if (use_obex) {
254                 serial_config_driver.label = "CDC OBEX config";
255                 serial_config_driver.bConfigurationValue = 3;
256                 ...
259         } else {
260                 serial_config_driver.label = "Generic Serial config";
261                 serial_config_driver.bConfigurationValue = 1;
262                ...
265         }

In this case we cannot have the three configurations together.
Hence I wanted to confirm if there was any other reason as to why
different numbers were assigned.

--
Anjana